This maneuver is to be performed once it is determined that the patient has BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo), specifically anterior or posterior canal canalithiasis of the right or left inner ear.
- Have patient long sit with head turned 45 degrees toward the affected side.
- Quickly lower patient’s upper body down with head lower than their body, with the
affected ear down — hold for 1 minute.
- Turn head to the other direction-affected ear up-hold for 1 minute.
- Patient rolls onto the unaffected side with the therapists holding their head which is still
rotated, so now they are looking at the floor — hold for 1 minute.
- Keeping the head turned to the unaffected side, patients sit up-hold for 1 minute.
Repeat maneuver up to 4 times or until symptoms resolve-whichever is first.
Give patient “Home Instructions after Repositioning Procedure” sheet. Review it with them, telling them when the 48 hours end.
Schedule patient for follow up in 1 week, of schedule follow phone call to determine effectiveness of maneuver. Maneuver may need to be repeated in 1 week if symptoms did not resolve.
Click here for more information.